Blippit IO is now also a downloadable application instead of purely browser-based experience and there are many reasons why we’ve done this. A big reason is that we sensed a potential digital divide emerging giving a two tier experience for those schools with ‘modern’ desktop browsers and those without.[thumbnail src=”http://blog.blippit.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Blippit_-_Creative_Tools_for_Schools__App_Maker__PureCode_Python__Spotlight_video_conferencing_PLUS_Blippit_Social_-_Facebook_for_Parental_Engagement.png”]
Blippit IO can offer school much more in terms of features and tools in it’s downloadable version. Even the Safari browser version for iPad does so much more than ever before, all because it’s a ‘modern’ browser.
We’d love to have kept Blippit IO as purely a browser-based experience but unfortunately because of the reality that many schools have many different types of browsers (many old ones) it would have meant that only people with the latest browsers would have benefited from Blippit IO’s powerful new features and tools. This would have gone against one of our driving principles which is all about inclusion and giving everyone the same opportunities. Last year one of our in-house issues was that different and older browser types would cause unexpected behaviours in the app maker and this made it really difficult for us to support schools to the level we’d like. Now however, the downloadable Blippit IO package puts every school on the same level playing field and that is wonderful.
With Blippit IO as a downloadable application we can offer every school
- The brand new Blippit Spotlight – an exciting and made for schools web conferencing tool which is perfect for when you’re snookered by firewalls and filtering – it just works
- Brand new customisations for mobile apps that given a huge range of new choice about how your apps should look
- A brand new communication tool as part of the app maker to support learner feedback between teacher and children
- A brand new powerful photo editing Widget in the App Maker that means you no longer need to be a master of graphics to get very cool images in your app
- Heaps of new flexibility in how teachers organise and move children around the Admin side of Blippit IO
- The brand new interactive online coding tool PureCode Python currently cooking up a nice bit of fuss at KS 3
- Excellent support and a rock solid knowledge base from within Blippit IO